Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: new Bronica RF
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:38:47 -0400

Dan Honemann wrote:

> I had a chance to check out the new Bronica 645 RF offering over the
> weekend, and was duly impressed.  It's quite compact--roughly the same size
> as the Fuji Whatever (their autofocus MF rangefinder)--but it manually
> focuses, and quite nicely, too.  Big square rangefinder patch in the middle
> of the finder, which has frames for the 65 (filling nearly the entire frame)
> and a portrait orientation--which is a boon, I suppose, for wedding and
> other portrait photogs (I find it disorienting).
>
> The body + 65/4 lens runs $1800 US.  They also have a wider lens (40? can't
> remember) that requires a separate finder, and plans for a 135/4.5 (the
> viewfinder framelines will adjust).  $3000 gets you the kit with all 3
> lenses.
>
> The lenses are leaf shutter and will synch up to 1/750.
>
> I think anyone about to buy a Fuji or Mamiya RF may do well to check out
> this Bronica first.  True, it's a 645 rather than a 6 square or 6x7, but it
> is not much bigger than a 35 RF, solidly built, very quiet and unobtrusive.
>
> Dan
I saw and handled the camera at the Hunt Show here in Boston a month ago. I
went even so far as to purchase one but it has not yet been delivered.  The
wide angle lens will be 55 mm I believe and the longer one 135mm.  There are
plans for other lenses if the camera is a sales success.  In answer to a
former question I believe that the camera is battery dependent as there is no
connection between the body and the lens other than the electrical contacts.
To now my favorite rangfinder has been to date my Fuji 645 S which is a true
machanical rangefinder. Its greatest limitation was a fixed lens.  I am
looking forward to receiving my new Braonica and will report back on my first
few rolls of film.
John Shick