Subject: [Leica] WAS:Dark deeds done in acold land.NOW: tongue test
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:52:34 -0800

As funny or stupid as this tongue test thing may appear,  those unfamiliar with
the cold climates of the world,  it is a very scary thing to do. Most kids do it
at sometime, usually on  a dare from other kids or just plain old fashion
stupidity. :-)

In my case it was a combination of both, showing off, (she was a cute girl in my
class and I wanted to impress her,) idiot! that's where the "stupidity" part
comes in. So one day about 25 below zero I plunked my innocent tongue to the
wrought iron fencing around our school yard. Surprise!!! It "quick froze long
before anyone knew anything about quick freezing!"

And there I was frozen by the tongue to the fence crying and sort of babbling
trying to get unglued. Kids were laughing and doing me any favours as I was
crying and scared as hell! Finally a teacher arrived to remove it using a glass
of hot water poured over tongue, face and fence..

I was not a pretty picture, as earlier pulling had torn skin loose before the
teacher freed me, so there was blood, tears and a hell of wrecked looking kid.
Damn! And the "cute little girl?" She had disappeared with one of the other guys,
both laughing! Jeeeesh guys can be so stupid when they want to impress some cute
girl. ;-)

As John Collier says, "at least once in a life time!" Be assured,  if you do it
once,  you will never never ever ever do it a second,  unless you're brain dead!

As for trying it on a well chilled Leica? Not on your life if it were made of
gold!

ted Grant

Message from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Dark deeds done in a cold cold land.)