Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for school play
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:34:26 -0500

Simon-
One- Fuji Supra is a wonderful film for mixed lighting! It has the fourth
emulsion like the Reala films- from what I understand, that is a feature to
all the new Superia films. Even if you don't use filters to correct- I have
been able to balance gymnasium and flurescent lighting on these films in
printing! Very good stuff!

If you don't use a spot meter- try to take a reading of the stage lights
with an incident meter before the show- any other metering will largely read
the mostly dark stage area, and you end up with horribly over exposed
central subjects in a largely underexposed background!

I have had good results, when I used an R system, with an Elmarit 180/2.8
shooting at even f4 with a brightly lit subject on stage, and gotten great
results. Keep in mid that stage lighting can be hard to judge- often what
seems like someone lit with a white light is actually a trio of red, green
and blue fresnel lights aimed at one spot! This can lead to a color fringing
that will at first seem off putting, but that's the nature of the beast!
They often use that setup so that the lighting director can make the point
on stage any color desired by merely controlling three lights!
Good Luck!

Dan