Subject: [Leica] Split-offs
From: goldman@math.umn.edu
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:11:40 -0600 (CST)

Javier wrote:
	"The reason he switched is probably the same reason that NBA ball
players switch sneaker brands. Money! leaving all us little kids to argue
over which brand is really better.
I wonder how many list members qualify for free cameras and lenses!"
- -----------------------------------------------------

Javier;
	Your Corollary 2 is absurd, but you have fallen so much in love
with it, you just can't drop it.
	If Allard told you right to your face that he hated the R system
(which I don't think he does), you would find any excuse not to believe
him or to call him dishonest, rather than to admit you were just
propagating nonsense.
	Consider this my last reply on this thread.
Jay

P.S. The pro's that I know who have M cameras have nothing against the R
system. They just don't consider as a serious alternative to N***n or
C****n. Leica's sales figures as quoted on the LUG certainly bear this
out.  Certainly there are pro's on this list and such names as Haas, Fred
Maroon, Hans Sylvester,and for many years Allard who have made magnificent
pictures with the R's. But for each of them, there are thousands who use
other systems. It may be a great system, but not many pro's seem to think
it has the necessary features to justify the investment.  I'm sure that
the biggest collection of user's are amateurs who are in love with Leica
lenses for whatever reason and can afford it.
	I predict that in 3 or 4 years, Leica will no longer be making the
R system, just selling old stock.  The M system will be their classic
offering and, if they want to stay in business, they will be strongly into
digital.
	I should stop since I've probably provided enough ammo for three
or four flame wars.  Since nothing I've said contributes to better
photography, I'll stay out of it.