Subject: Re: [Leica] R equipment and its future
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 21:23:31 +0100

Hi Dan,

> Thanks for your encouragement.  I'll be looking at the R8 again this morning
> (unfortunately, none of the dealers in the DC area stock an R6.2--nor the
> 100 apo macro).

The R8 is very much an acquired taste. Many people who just handle it in a store
do not fully appreciate what a wonderful camera it is in actual shooting. If you
have an opportunity to shoot a roll of film with it, I urge you to do so.

> My only hesitation stems from the possibility that there may never be a
> digital back or body for R lenses.  I'm planning on going the digital route
> on the printing side, and do believe that there will come a day when digital
> capture devices meet or exceed the capablities of film.  When that happens,
> I'd like for my substantial investment in glass not to be rendered obsolete.

Well, I can see how this might give you pause. It is not an issue for me, as I
plan to stay with film as long as film exists. But I do believe that if digital
really progresses to the stage where a lens like the 100mm Apo Macro can be done
justice by the capture device, a way will be found to accomodate it.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland