Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 75/1.4 question
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:47:07 -0500

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:10:25 +0000, Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
wrote:

>Paul,
>Could the reason be that when you're playing with the lens you still
>have the end cap on? The "ssshhh" sound is the air being drawn in
>between cap and flange, which just might be why it feels stiffer than
>when on the body which has a larger air space. New lenses often have
>a little grease on the flange which makes a good seal with the cap.
>Try it without cap, maybe that's all it is. (It could also just be
>the threads bedding in.)
>Nick.

OK, I just spent a couple of minutes fondling the two lenses together (no caps,
and both on bodies).  The focussing on the 75 is a bit heavier than the 90.  The
difference between their focussing feels like the 75 has more grease on the
helicoids.  It's at the same time smoother and "heavier" than the 90, though
only marginally.

I can't tell you how this exercise has made me feel - sitting here repeatedly
twisting two big black Leica teles back and forth.  I won't be doing that again
any time soon - the mental imagery is just too disturbing.  I sure am glad Mr. M
wasn't around to photograph it :-)

Paul

Replies: Reply from Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (Re: [Leica] Re: 75/1.4 question)
Message from Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk> (RE: [Leica] Re: 75/1.4 question)