Subject: Re: [Leica] Experience with the Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:42:25 -0500

John-
Aaaah! At last, a smiley post! I have the Dimage Scan Dual (uno) with a SCSI
interface, and I love it! It can be real slow, but for a cheap scanner, I
can find little to complain about!
VUESCAN works on it, and if I want a really good scan, I do three or four
passes and find that the results are better than even my Epson 1200 can
reproduce fully!
It has turned me into a believer that digital in one form or another will
eventually prevail- I mean if I didn't really believe that, I'd still have a
buggy whip in the corner by the door of the stable....
In fact, more to the point, I'd still be using wet plates and have a
portable darkroom a la Mathew Brady tucked in the back of the old station
wagon!
I would imagine that when the Leica first came out that there were thoses
who poopooed the idea of a miniature negative ever approaching any sort of
popularity whenyou could get suchwonderful results with your Burke & James
5x7!
I am sure that Leica will continue to ride the wave. Even the pedestrian
Digilux is a decent entry into that genre- I do some shots for rBay (ok! I
hear somebody gagging out there!) and have had several comments and
questions about what camera I'm using to get such good photos- I am sure
that it is not my penultimate skill at tabletop photography, and can only
credit Leica and the Digilux. So, if we give them the same scale of time
that it took from the Ur Leica to the IIIf RD,(what- 20-25 years?) Then I am
sure the eventual result will be a digital capability that if we saw it
today would blow our socks off.
We're in a new century, new technology, and to disparage or discount what
will be is a little premature- I personally hope I can stick around long
enough to see what happens!
Dan