Subject: Re: [Leica] Homicide and photography
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:32:09 -0500

This is a response to Marc's wonderful post- which for the sake of brevity I
clipped here. Usually the curmugeonly Marc can get a rise out of anyone, but
I whole heartedly agreed with his evaluation- and a chance to use a phrase I
learned so long ago- "Volkstumliche ausratung" if my memeory serves
correctly for spellling. IT is essentially the German phrase for what we
would call genocide- and means basically- "extirpation of peoples"

It seems a natural course of  the human trait of scapegoating and malignant
discrimination to gradually become 'extirpation' if left unchecked. As a
student of sociology and psychology, I have come to admit even to my little
inner voice that even I can be guilty of of some sort of discrimination in
the blackest corners of my heart.

It is as a black comedian once said- "Everybody has their 'niggers'" Even in
the more lighter atmosphere of the LUG (boy, that can be a stretch!) we have
our "N" word!!! so, in that respect, we even discriminate in our hoppies and
professions!

So- that's my observation on a thread that I have been largely ignoring
until Marc  spoke up- I always read his posts because I figure I'll learn
SOMETHING!

I have come to understand from my shrink that Dan doesn't like himself very
much. ( Took several years to figure this out!) and probably due to my mixed
German/French/Ulster Scot/ Cherokee background- the various potions of my
psyche are at war with each other! Possibly why I love Mexican and Chinese
food so much! So- lighten up- Homicide and Photography sould not be a topic
we need to dwell on.
Perhaps- "Photography and Nekkid wimmen", "Photography and Cute Fuzzy
Animals" or even "Photography and People Who Have So Little Self-esteem They
Slice Themselves UP" but not Homicide and Photography--- unless you are a
crime scene photographer, and then only if you HAVE to!

Dan ( I like myself well enjough now to buy m'self only Leicas and other
REAL cameras!) Post

Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Homicide and photography)