Subject: Re: [Leica] Marmite
From: Nick Poole <nick.botton@camphill.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:37:44 +0000

>Tarek,
>
>Marmite/vegemite is a concoction of yeast extract that has the appearance
>and consistency of black/brown tar and has a salty, vaguely meaty/cheesy
>flavour. This highly nutrious stuff tends to be eaten by those from England
>and their former colonies (with the exception of the US). It is generally
>spread on toast or crackers.
>
>I like the stuff.  It is a nice match with beer or tea. If noone is looking
>I'll eat some out of the jar with my finger. It is an aquired taste: like
>Laphroig, sushi, Stilton, Peter Greenaway films and manual focus rangefinder
>cameras.
>
>Jonathan Lee

Tarek,

Please take the Jonathan's description as anecdotal rather than
literal - the truth is that Marmite is a British institution too
gruesome to explain in public. Its effectiveness is seen in the fact
that a member of the former colonies;-) actually likes the stuff,
which just goes to prove how effective it has been in the long
history of subjugation practiced by the people of these islands. (OK,
the French have their own secret weapon too, of course; one fragrant
breath of a garlic-stuffed Legionnaire can strip wallpaper at fifty
metres.) No, what we can say without fear of contradiction is that
its rich black sheen undoubtedly inspired the Wetzlar boffins to
develop their famous black lacquer, but unfortunately the only people
they colonised are on the LUG;-)
Nick.

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] Ode to Marmite)