Subject: [Leica] highquailty porn
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:38:25 -0800

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> on 4/12/00 2:12 pm, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:
>
> > Ansel goes for the big effect. He's not into boring subtlety You WILL look at
> > his images for more than one second.
>
> There are a lot of his images I DON'T look at for more than one second,
> certainly not in reproduction. AA's technique was such however that when you
> see his images in the flesh there is a kind of hyper-reality about them that
> can completely transfix you. But that is fundamentally a technical effect.
> If you shoot something with an 8x10 camera and make a contact print you'll
> get the same effect. You could call it 'deep seeing', and it can radically
> transfrom the most mundane object. Edward Weston took amazing pix of
> peppers... Ansel Adams made a boring picture of a rose, and a scissor and
> some thread. To me, Weston's pictures were glorious and in many respects
> unsurpassed. Ansel's were... very very sharp.
>
> Okay, that's an unfair comparison. Perhaps we underestimate AA because he
> has been so vastly copied. To draw another comparison with other media, he
> reminds me of Tchaikovsky putting the cannons in the 1812 overture. They've
> very, very... loud. I'd rather listen to Schubert or Beethoven.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman
>
> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

It's very cool you are getting into large format and it's true you can shoot
dogshit and make a contact print of it; a little Selenium and name your price:
high art; or contact it with Platinum and they'll give you stock options.
Cigarette butts would do well for me for subject matter: Irving.

Personally I thought Ansels version of the sizzlers and egg slicer was a nice as Ed's.

And part of it is what you think is Pornography.
Nixon said it was something that showed pubic hair.
So any guy with a mustache is doing porn having his drivers license takin.
My person definition of pornography is very simple:

Pornography is erotic art done poorly.

Anyone got a better one?

mark rabiner
:)