Subject: Re: [Leica] Visit to Victoria
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:27:46 -0500

on 3/12/00 7:37 pm, Martin Howard at howard.390@osu.edu wrote:

> One of the most common things you'll hear about Columbus is "it's a great
> place to raise kids".  Which essentially translates into "very little
> happens here".  Why children should require inactivity I don't know, but it
> seems to be a universally held truth.

Speaking as a parent I'd translate this as: your kids can play in the
streets without being abducted, and they are unlikely to know more about sex
than you do by age eight, or to be on crack by twelve. What's more you can
afford a house big enough that you don't murder them yourself.

(Okay, they may not ACTUALLY be abducted in New York or London but shit
happens continually on the streets... in the last two years in London we had
three murders within a hundred yards of our apartment... and this was in one
of the NICER bits. So your parental paranoia is jacked up, and you flee).

Which is one of the nice things about Toronto... it's a great place to raise
kids but nevertheless quite a lot happens here.

Besides, if you didn't bring up your kids in a backwater, they'd have no fun
moving to the big city.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com