Subject: [Leica] Re: david prakel's rochester show....
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 12:01:34 -0500

on 1/12/00 2:56 pm, kyle cassidy at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
wrote:

> i couldn't get one of the detail pages to load on the first page ... other
> than that -- i'd personally like to see larger images on the details page,
> especially on some of the prints like the b&w flowers, i was very
> interested in checking out the tone of the prints, rather than just the
> composition ... good attention to theme.
>
> take care & thanks for sharing.
>
> kyle
>
> p.s. did you write that book about the best cd recordings? your name
> sounds familiar....

The web site was produced on a Mac and I've always had criticism from
Windows user that my scanned images were too dark. I followed the advice of
a guy from the Kodachrome list namely:  move up the midtones in PhotoShop to
1.8 and then increasing the contrast in the Brightness/Contrast command
(+2-+10). Seem to work with most of the B&W stuff but the colour scans seem
washed out in comparison. You just can't to seem to get the densities
without the detail closing in or noise obscuring it. Trust me to pick thick
Kodachromes as source material!.

Yes, the show opening was a blast last night. I was having a conversation in
front of a 16x20 taken with my pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm trying hard to
persuade someone this was not medium format - and this from the lens I was
told not to buy back in 1984 as it was 'too soft'.

And I couldn't help but laugh when someone 'accused' me of 'taking
everything on a tripod'! (Got the wrong guy there - I preach about them but
don't really use 'em).

p.s. I suppose I should de-cloak - yes, I did write a book called
Rock'n'Roll on CD in the US (had precious little Rock'n'Roll in it mind you
as I kept pointing out to the US publisher - the UK version was called Rock
On CD though I never knew whether it was meant to be pronounced 'Rock-On CD'
or 'Rock: on CD'.

Thanks for the comments.
- --
David Prakel