Subject: [Leica] --what's my project?
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:10:15 -0800

I just finished one called Apron Strings,ties to identify through
occupation. It's broken into three other areas, ties to identity through
family history, artists' interpretations of apron strings, and ties to
identity through immigrant homelands.   Unfortunately, while I looked
for ways to use my Leica, I wound up using an american classic, the
Super Speed Graphic. Many of the shots being handheld, rangefinder
focused and flash filled. Tonight is the last opening at El Camino
College, Carson, CA. This is the fourth exhibiting venue in LA county,
all running concurrently.
I was asked by a local cultural center to become involved, with the
promise of funding. While the funding never materialized I stayed with
it, as it turned out to be too good a project to abandon midstream. So
far two gallery catalogues have been printed, and one calendar. A good
way for the community to see one's work.
For some of you out there, a local community resource might be the way
to go, as it gives third party validation, meaning you're not some
weirdo with a camera, and you can get great access. Just don't let them
make you promise the moon and hang on to your artistic rights, apart
from that a little give goes a long way to work as you see fit.

My current project is documenting San Pedro, CA, for the LA Public
Library. On this one for the San Pedro bar scene I plan to use my leica.
This one is being funded, a small mercy, but I'm grateful never the
less. It's set to show in September of 2001 at the downtown main
library. By then they will have their collections on line, and I'll be
able to refer the site to all and sundry.

Slobodan Dimitrov