Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:26:41 -0800

>Stephen,
>Wow. Finally somebody on my frequency. I'm new to the Leica game and
>therefore know
>nothing about the pompous Mr. Puts. Who is he? Is he a PR flak?,
>Leica lobbyist? an
>optical engineer? a mechanical engineer? a manufacturing engineer?
>Who has endowed
>him with all this "wisdom?" Why does nearly everyone on the LUG bow,
>scrape and
>a**k*** him? Can someone enlighten me?
>Cordially,
>Kurt Miska
>German Business Translations
>Ann Arbor, Michigan

Bowing and scraping I'm not very good at. Respecting, is something
else, and I for one respect Erwin Put's knowledge and consistent
analyses of Leica lenses.

The language may appear obtuse at first, but after reading a series
of his tests and relating them to my own experiences I find I can
trust his tests on new items to be generally more accurate and
predictive of real world performance than most others. That earns my
respect.

Who has endowed him with his wisdom? A strange question.

Erwin's language often sounds stilted, but remember that English is
not his native language. If I were to try to write a technical
article in the only other language I have even a remote chance of
using, I would sound simple minded and probably foolish. I don't
think I am either, and neither do I automatically infer that Erwin is
pompous because he does not have a large range of English idioms at
his command.

His main failing in these posts is probably that he consistently
praises Leica products, but then this is a Leica list and many
subscribers do that, usually without nearly as much technical basis
as Erwin has.

What I really find galling are all these personal attacks on Erwin
(which he only responds to in the mildest fashion) by people who have
not shown that they or their work accords them a fraction of the
respect that Erwin's does.

If anyone wants to respond to this, please do it off-list. I'm not
going to post anything further on this topic.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com