Subject: [Leica] San Diego
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:02:46 +0000

Robert Clark wrote:

>I'll be out in San Diego next week and would like some opinions on
places to eat, photograph, and to see the sights.

Robert,
Things to see:

Balboa Park
	-Zoo
	-Museum of Photographic Arts (current exhibit: Photographr's Wife).
Good Bookstore inside too.
	--Menge Museum (crafts)

If you have a car, get out to end of Point Loma in late afternoon.  View
of city and bay and ocean not to be missed.  road out there runs through
the military cemetary, Ft. Rosecrans, that is pictureesque setting.
Tidepools below.

About eating:  Gaslamp quarter (good for street photography) has
numerous restaurants/pubs.  Also La Jolla, where I live, several
moderately priced places with nice views of ocean in walking distance.
Also in La Jolla, within a few blocks of the house, is the only Leica
dealer (Bob Davis Camera) in the city and a photo gallery that
specializes in "art" and landscape work.  Current hanging are 4x5/5x7
format images of the Sierra mountains from the air.  Shot several
decades ago.  There is an image of the photographer with giant Linhof
aerial camera and plane.  Incredible stuff of peaks and valleys and snow
patterns.  A Adams worthy print quality.  Two blocks away is Thomas
Mangelson's gallery, one of the finest wildlife photographers working
today.

La Jolla coastline also good for walking/shooting: the Cove, the
beaches, rocks, surfing, Children's Pool where numerous sea lions have
taken up residence.

"Old Town" near crossroads of I-5 and I-8, is also picture place, though
touristy.  Shops and restaurants.  Couple Mexican-type cantinas.

Call for details and schedule a coffee or brew:  619-230-1750; cell:
858-775-7351.

donal

Donal Philby
San Diego