Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of origin Smoke Screens
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:39:52 +0100

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:15:11 -0800
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>

Well Erwin, it amazes me how maintain your objectivity  and even handedness,
when I see it as anything but when the subject turns to Leica.

Have you EVER made ANY post on the LUG about a current Leica product which did
not support Leica management in the best possible light ?   Objectivity  would
seem to demand that at some point in time you would have to find something
negative, most other LUGers have at some point or another.   Any post of yours
referring to Leica problems that I can remember has only amounted to a
disgruntled acknowledgment after many posts have made whatever problem common
knowledge.  Remember the arguments we had a few years ago when you claimed
there
was no reasonable proof the lagging  R8 sales affected Leica's financials?  I
do, it still makes me laugh whenever I see an R8.

 I don't know if you are on Leica's payroll, but if you deserve to be,  since
your unending praise of new products and lenses probably sells more product
than
Leica's often inept advertising.    I give thanks your lens tests don't talk
about exceedingly fine detail in Che's beard.

I don't think the real  issue here is Country of Origin with you at all, but
your attempt at  PR damage control.

If it became generally known how much of the M6 is made outside of Germany,
sales might lag.  Older used cameras might be preferred to the new.    I think
that is what you are worried about.     For some reason you seem to have a
blind
devotion to Leica management, defending their decisions and promoting their
products -- even if their decisions and products don't deserve it.

Some will doubtless believe your Leica promotional mindset  and unflinching
Leica management loyalty has nothing to do with your dependence upon Leica's
good will to provide you with information and test products for the CD's,
articles, and books you want to sell.    I am not one of them.

In my opinion the biggest smoke screen on the LUG is you Erwin, often fooling
people into believing you are detached and objective in your Leica posts.  I
think the best solution for everyone would be Leica making  you an official
paid
spokesman.   You would then be able to quote official Leica positions as a
Leica
employee, and I wouldn't be bothered about your painful lack of objectivity
since there would never be any question that you have any objectivity.

Stephen Gandy

And Curiouser!
Rob.

Menschheit is eine humoristische Rolle.