Subject: Re: [Leica] Country of Manufacture
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:13:30 -0400

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> Where my Leicas are made (and I'm only using M cameras and lenses) is very important
> to me.
>
> I'm pretty sure production did not shift to Portugal because they're better at making
> cameras over there than the Germans were (pop quizz: name a famous Portuguese camera
> manufacturer? Bzzzzt! Time's up!). Leicas are made in Portugal because it's cheaper
> that way.
>
> After much trial and error, I've come to the financially burdensome conclusion that
> most things that cost less usually ARE less - there is frequently a direct
> correlation between price and quality (although maybe Hermés scarves are overpriced
> for the quality :-))
>
> When Leicas were made in Canada, the company advertised this fact with some pride,
> even running ads with the Maple Leaf flag in them. Have we seen a similar pride from
> Solms about the Familicao operation? Nope. They're actually covering it up pretty
> thoroughly. They sometimes mark the boxes "Portugal," not the M cameras or lenses
> (dunno squat about R). Many many Leica owners are surprised (read: shocked) when you
> tell them about Leica and Portugal.
>
> I'll be happy to discuss this over a nice codfish dinner or over a bottle of Porto.
> Play me some fado and I'll dance. Hell, I'll even buy a Portuguese leather belt to
> hold my pants up so my hands are free to take pictures. But no Portuguese Leicas for
> me, thank you very much.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal
Don't know about that Emanuel.  The difference in the cost of labor from one
country to another has little to do with the abilty of the labor force to do
skilled labor.  It is a question of proper training, the right equipment and
rigerous supervision and quality control.  My German VW is assembled in Mexico
and is every bit as good as its German counter part.  Toyotas assembled in the
US are every bit as high quality as those assembled in Japan.  If a Leica
produced in Portugal is substandard than Leica has not traind the people
properly and is not supervising production properly.  I think this would be
highly unlikely.
When I was growing up many years ago we all bought into the myth that Germans
and Swiss were better craftsmen than say Italians or French etc. At that time
we thought Japanese goods wich were shoddy and cheap was do to the Japanese
not being as good as Germans at precision work. Now we all know that this was
due to poor materials and post war chaos.
Any well traind work force made up of people who are encouraged to take pride
in their achievments and with the proper equipment and supervision can produce
Leicas to the same high standards as Solms.
John Shick