Subject: [Leica] Re: Bandwith
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:13:56 -0700

On 29 Nov 2000, A.H.SCHMIDT wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> Bandwidth has nothing to do with the length of a message. A
> message of 2 hour length uses no more bandwidth, than a message of
> one second.

<snip>

It *is* a poor descriptive term, purloined, I guess, from the
audio field. It does, however, have to do with message length to
the extent that longer messages require more time to send and
a server full of real long messages will require more time to
deal with them.

Many mailing lists are on servers with limited memory and long
messages reduce the handling efficiency. I doubt that a few long
messages bother most servers very much, but what I suspect
should be avoided is where everyone is quoting completely
every message to which they're replying. I cringe when I see a
reply to some of Erwin's lengthy messgaes, quoting his post
completely and their response being something like, "Good post
Erwin, I agree".

- --
Roger, List-Owner
The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)
http://www.topica.com/lists/leica

Replies: Reply from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bandwith)