Subject: [Leica] Bandwith
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:27:51 +1100

The following is an excerpt of a LUGers mail. It is just one of many similar
ones.

> That is why I
> delete most of the text I am referring to: to save bandwidth and get to the
> point quickly.

The reference is to the term Bandwidth.  The context in which this is used is
wrong.

Bandwidth has nothing to do with the length of a message. A message of 2 hour
length uses no more bandwidth, than a message of one second.

Bandwidth has to do only with the actual speed a message is send. If a message
is send with  a speed of 300 baud, then the bandwidth is less than if a speed of
1200 baud is used.
This is the reason, we aren't able to send messages with a speed of  Mega baud's
as yet over the standard telephone cable. The bandwidth is limited by the
filters (intentionally or non intentionally) incorporated in the telephone
network and by the amount of cross talk which is acceptable from one wire pair
to the next.

To use the term Bandwidth to describe a message length is incorrect.

What's wrong with?:" It takes to long"

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Bandwith)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] Re: Bandwith)