Subject: Re: [Leica] Trashed SL
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:32:45 -0800

Funny thing, just a couple of weeks ago I had the same experience. While
attending the World Federalist Assoc. annual meeting (Yep, some of them
pinko college boys is still alive)  I bumped unto a convention of Police
chiefs at the San Diego Hilton. Since nothing was going yet with the WFA,
I figured why not check out the chiefs. As I'm talking with this guy, he
starts crowding me and giving me that are you a perp stare. As it turned
out, once he clamed down and came off work mode, he was the head of the
Illinois highway patrol. So that's one, now when I get to the convention
floor in downtown San Diego the same mannerism starts happening as I'm
talking to people. This time I pull out the garlic, i.e. my press
credentials around my neck and bong, all of a sudden I get a wide berth,
avoidance of eye contact and pretendending I don't exist, while at the
same time my movements are carefully watched. I guess habits die hard.
I myself ascribe to the police broken window theory, albeit in an inverted
form. The record of broken civil rights against the "civilian population"
in Los Angeles and Orange Counties makes everyone of them suspect. A
burden I live with.

Slobodan Dimitrov