Subject: Re: [Leica] Award winner, Minox users aboard?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:16:15 +0100

I have a 35 GSE + Flash, purchased new about three years ago, after the
camera had been discontinued. I liked the design better than the (more
expensive) GTE with that big red Minox logo across (sounds familiar,
eh?). The lack of multicoating on a four element lens didn't bother me.
And the GSE comes without that silly, fixed skylight filter (sounds
familiar, again?)! The camera fired the flash whenever I opened the lens
door, but the warranty repair took only some two weeks. I live in
Germany, so it went throught German mail (usually ovenight delivery)
direct to Minox in Giessen.

Although it is all plastic it is "Mercedes Benz" quality plastic (not
"Daimler-Chrysler" for godness sake!!!). Just open and close the
retractable lens and will know what I mean. The camera is quite
reliable, but its small size is seductive in terms of carrying it in
gritty, tight pant pockets rather than properly protected against dust.
I understand the camera is not sealed and dust can cause trouble in the
electro-magnetic shutter control.

Here in Germany Minox 35s are easily available used and cheap for DM
200+ and often for less. But many samples I checked in shops had a
slighlty loose film back. Probably nothing serious, but a very
noticeable difference to my "new" GSE. Don't forget that some are 20
years old! So I do not regret of having bought my sample "new" and with
non-mercury batteries.

Overall I would say the Minox 35 is more appropriate supplementary
camera for R/M users than these rebadged Leica point and shoot cameras.
However, I wonder about the Minox/Leica marketing strategy, because both
companies offer rebadged p&s cameras under their name.

Check for further details:

http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=MINOX%20FAQ

Hans-Peter