Subject: Re: [Leica] death threats
From: Nathan Wajsman <belgiangator@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 05:17:18 -0800 (PST)

In fact, there are many similarities between bikers
(especially Harley owners) and LUGgers. I am here
speaking of "normal" bikers, i.e. motorcycle
enthusiasts of various stripes and not Hells Angels
types for whom motorcycling is at best incidental to
their criminal activities.

For example:

Bikers are often divided between "real bikers" who use
their bikes for commuting, touring etc., and "fair
weather bikers" who spend more time polishing their
bikes than riding them and would not dream of riding
if there is the slightest risk of rain or anything
else that might affect the impeccable finish and shiny
chrome of their bikes (many Harley owners are in this
category). Reminds me of the user/collector split we
often encounter in the Leica community.

Exteme brand loyalty--owners of Harleys and Ducatis
look down on the poor souls who chug around on
Japanese "rice burners", often to the point of not
returning the customary hand greeting which is often
exchanged when two motorcyclists meet on the road.
They are also prepared to pay through the nose for
their chosen brand even though by any objective
criterion the offerings of Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and
Yamaha represent much better value for money. Hmmm...

And lastly, my favorite brand of motorcycle (BMW) is
produced by a smallish German manufacturer, uses an
idiosyncratic engine design, has switchgear different
from all other brands, and costs a lot more than most
other bikes in its class (but it is built to last and
is characterized by uncompromising quality). Even more
hmmm.......

Nathan
(who cannot afford two expensive addictions and so
rides a Suzuki)

I'd figure BIKERS would be much easier to deal with