Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger lenses
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:04:09 -0500 (EST)

> How do the various Leitz lenses compare?
> What about Schneider and Rodenstock current models?
> Any others?
> Whats the best for a Focomat?

Henry:

When I bought my Focomat 1c, it came with a Leitz Focotar 4.5 (if I
remember correctly), until someone on the LUG mentioned using a Schneider
Componon-S 50/2.8 on a 1c.  I liked the idea of f/2.8 for easier
(brighter) focusing.  I ordered one from B&H and sold the Focotar.  I have
no complaints, despite that:

- - I had to remove the aperture ring lever in order for the lens to fit
properly into the enlarger.  The lever is removable via a single screw
(it's not a hack job).  The lever includes a backlit aperture number so
you lose that feature, but just count the half-stop clicks down from f/2.8
when you stop down, and it's no problem telling what aperture you select.

- - since I don't have the proper Leitz extension tube, I stuck a spacer in
an appropriate spot on the enlarger's focusing mechanism to "bias" the
lens into a suitable distance from the light housing.  I needed to do this
in order to get a good focusing range at typical enlargement sizes.

Focomat 1c users: non-Leitz lenses will likely cause the mechanical
autofocus feature to not work.  I don't know this for a fact but you might
want to check into it.

Do I notice a difference in the image quality between the Focotar and
Componon, even after looking at side-by-side prints at two different
apertures?  No -- absolutely none! But the bright max aperture sure helps
focusing, and the quality of the lens is superb all-around (still doesn't
"feel" as slid as the Focotar).

- --Andrew

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] enlarger lenses)