Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:31:40 -0800

Henry Ambrose wrote:

> Lets just pretend that I wanted to choose the very best enlarger lens for
> 35mm. Probably a 40 or 50mm. I hear very high praise for the various
> Leitz Focotar models. I have also read of a couple of Zeiss microfiche
> lenses that seem to be legendary. (so legendary that I do not know anyone
> who has ever seen one)
> My own experience has been only with Nikon.
>
> How do the various Leitz lenses compare?
> What about Schneider and Rodenstock current models?
> Any others?
> Whats the best for a Focomat?
>
> Henry Ambrose

I went with a 63mm El-Nikkor.
I think it compares well with some more expensive German Stuff: Schneider,
Rodenstock, Apo's and so on.
But at half the price. A real find of a deal.
I forget who but some famous people also use it.
It was originally designed for slide copying.
This less interestingly is HEAVIER than the 105 an awesome Nikon optic a worthy
opponent of any premium lens.
I'm getting primo results with the 63 at 11x14 and certainly smaller, no 16x20's
or 20x24's yet.
I think it's slightly wider image covering insures the outer edges of the 35mm
field which is 24x36 is sharp out to the edges as i think it covers 40x40. Not
quite superslide interestingly enough.
I think they are made in smaller amounts so they are more careful about it somehow.

mark rabiner
:)
http://spokenword.to/rabiner/