Subject: [Leica] Filter Degradation
From: "Paul Arnold" <osprey@bmt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:30:24 -0700

On my M6, 50 Summicron (my only Leica equipment) I do not use a filter, for
protection or otherwise. I protect the lens in the bag with a screw-on cap
and I'm just real careful with it when it's out of the bag.

However, with my Hassy I have a Pro-Shade and I sometimes use a Hassy
colored gelatin-filter while shooting b/w. The filter is no more optically
sophisticated that a square of plastic, and is relatively cheap,
particularly by Hassy or Leica standards.

Here is my problem. After reading Tina, Ted and the gang on the light
bending and brightness- diminishing effects of expensive, high-quality
optical glass I wonder what insidious effect I create by hanging that square
of cheap plastic in front of my Hassy lenses.

Anybody have an opinion?

Thanks.

- -- Paul

Paul Arnold