Subject: [Leica] Thanksgiving goose
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:47:55 -0500

LUGs

This is the week when most of us in the U.S. think of turkey.
However, after last Sunday's birding walk in a local park,
accompanied by my canine domestic companion, my thoughts
have been on geese.  A scan of a flock of Canadas with the
Trinovids turned up a Greater white-fronted goose.  This species
nests in Alaska and northwestern Canada and winters in Texas
and Mexico. It is a rarity in the northeastern U.S

After checking all the markings against the field guide to be sure, I
quickly drove home, deposited the canine companion and grabbed
some chrome, camera, tripod, extenders and 280/2.8 and returned
to get documentation of the bird's presence and identity.

Although the Canadas are used to human presence, they do not
tolerate too close an approach, and the flock will frustratingly
waddle away as a human nears, even one with Leica equipment.
Consequently I employed the Ted Grant approach to stacking
extenders, adding both the 2x and the 1.4x to the 280.  The
camera, an R6 recently acquired from Sherry Krauter, was one I
hadn't used before, but my confidence in the source was not
misplaced - the metering and shutter speeds were right on the
money.

A couple of the results appear at
http://www.fatrobin.com/customer.htm and, with  Doug Herr's
pelican experience in mind, I gave a small digital print to the town's
parks superintendent.

The birding gods continued to smile, for the week later brought into
the park a brant, another goose rare to my area.  So far, that one
has been seen but not yet decently photographed. My own
forgetfullness frustrated  this morning's outing. I remembered to
bring everything except my gloves.

Happy Thankgsgiving,
Roy