Subject: [Leica] Stalingrad
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:55:24 +0100

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:28:17 EST
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Leica] ......Leicas in movies......
In a message dated 11/20/00 1:33:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
simon@camera-craftsman.com writes:

<< Incidentally, if you are into this kind of thing, another good one is
 "Stalingrad." The Germans seem to be very good at utterly depressing war
 movies!  >>

Right.  Leave it to the Germans to overdo the "Weltschmerz" thing.  No doubt
the battle had its lighter moments...

Joe Sobel
<<<<<

I don't think Stalingrad had many light moments. _But_... it did have
Leicas. There is a photo of General Rokossovsky waiting for the opening
artillery barrage of the campaign to compress and crush the "Kessel"
(cauldron - after the encirclement) in which the German Army was trapped,
in which he is also having his photo taken by a camera which looks very
much like a Leica. However, it just occurs to me that it's probably a
Russian copy!
Best,
Rob.

Replies: Reply from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Stalingrad)