Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Zeiss? periscopes (off-topic)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:45:12 -0500

At 09:27 PM 11/21/2000 -0000, Doug Richardson wrote:
>No. British submarines traditionally have Barr & Stroud periscopes.
>The company (now Pilkington Optronics) supplied the CK 33 search and
>CH 83 attack electro-optic periscopes for the Royal Navy's
>Swiftsure-class, while the older Oberon-class used the  CK 24 search
>and CH 74 attack periscopes made back in the Barr & Stroud days.
>
>About two or three years ago Pilkington Optronics and Zeiss entered
>into a technology-exchange deal in which the two agreed to share
>technologies so that each could offer periscopes with the best of both
>companies' technologies when bidding to customers who were traditional
>Pilkington or Zeiss users.
>
>To the best of my knowledge, the US Navy uses Kollsmorgen periscopes,
>but Pilkington and Zeiss are the two biggest players on the export
>market.

Thanks for the clarification, Doug.  What I do know is that Zeiss sells
more submarine periscopes than the rest of the Free World manufacturers do
combined.  With the sharp decline in submarine construction in the past
decade, this has been a sad development for Zeiss -- and the Russians and
Ukrainians are now picking up some of the reduced market, as well.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!