Subject: [Leica] Re: Red dots and jingoism
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:59:43 -0500

At 05:37 PM 11/17/00 -0800, you wrote:
>And actually what caught my eye in the original post was that it seemed a
>bit jingoistic to assert that there is more crime "abroad" than at home,
>wherever Home may be.

Heh.  I *can't* be jingoistic.  I'm a resident alien.  Home at the moment
is New York, and I'm fully aware that parts of it can hold their own
against the worst the world can cough up.  (In those parts, however, I'm a
tourist.)  I remember some journalist a few years ago raving about some
dire circumstance in Manhattan, suggesting that it was "worse than
Calcutta." Those familiar with both cities considered it
slanderous:  Calcutta, according to most measurements, was nowhere near as
bad.  (This was before Rudy invited Mickey and Pluto into Times Square.)

Home initially was Canada, which is safer than some countries, but I came
close to being murdered once while hitching out west.  So jingoistic I'm
not.  Still, let's not pretend that all cities are equally dangerous.  I
was just visiting a friend in Toronto who leaves his front door unlocked,
while he, his wife and two children are asleep.  I assure you that no one
in Miami, Marseilles or Mombasa would sleep very soundly under those
circumstances.

Doug (who seems to be in an alliterative mood) Cooper