Subject: Re: [Leica] UV filter for Noctilux-measurable light loss??
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:50:51 -0800

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 11:43 AM 11/17/00 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >An aside to Tina: What instrument do you use to measure darkness? ;-)
> >Nick.
>
> O.K., Nick.  I tried it again.  I am using a Minolta IV F Auto Meter.  I've
> entered 3200 as the ISO and 1/125 as the time.  In room light, without the
> UV filter in front of the meter I get an f number of 2.89.  With the UV
> filter, I get an f number of 2.86.  Not much difference, it's true, but
> enough to matter when you are taking pictures in the dark!  In my dark
> hallway, with an ISO of 3200 and 1/30, I get a reading of 1.0 without the
> filter and a reading of "under" with the UV filter.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP
> http://www.tinamanley.com

Tina and all instead of testing our meters with the UV filter why not test our film.
Got into a low light situation (dim the lights in the room you are in)
and do a shot with and without the UV filter at f1, a 15th of a second. (I'd use
a tripod)
Then look at the neg and see how much shadow detail is lost.
Pull out your trusty Heathkit densitometer!
Better yet make a print with the fitlerlesss neg and then put the other neg in.
I suppose we might have been also testing our shutter then as well?
never mind.
mark rabiner
:)
http://spokenword.to/rabiner/