Subject: [Leica] RE: RE: Thomas duplex super safelight
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:38:30 -0600

At 08:16 PM 16/11/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>George, I certainly respect your darkroom technique.... Do you think that if
>you can only withstand 30 seconds, do you think this might be improved by
>replacing 15 year old filters?
>
>My darkroom is safe after 10 minutes to exposure to my Thomas safelight.....

I will contact the company about this.  How much do they charge for
replacement filters?

The 30 seconds refers to time that the paper is "idle" -- just sitting on
the counter, if you will.  In addition, the paper gets more safelight
exposure while in a paper cutter, while under the easel, during printing,
while processing (before fixing), etc.  So, realistically, I have about 5
minutes of total time exposed to the safelight before I start running into
trouble with fogging, and this is fine except when I am making very large
prints, which require more time before processing for me.  Then I have to
close down the vanes nearly completely.

Part of the problem is that I had to mount the safelight about 4 feet above
my dry workspace.  It is hanging below a suspending ceiling.  I might be
able to reduce brightness by spray-painting my ceiling tile black, but that
would spoil the aesthetics and enjoyment of working in the darkroom.