Subject: [Leica] Still confused about which 90 to get
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:10:25 -0500

>Basically, I'm not going to use the 90 very much, except for
>portraits (which is something I want to get into more I guess) and
>the occasional landscape shot. I want a lens that's a good buy for
t>he money.

>What should I get?

>The tele-elmarit? The elmarit-m? The elmarit C? The Summicron?

Tristan,

I have a varient of the fat Summicron. It's a very nice lens for what
you want to do and they're available for about $5-700. It focuses close,
has an f2 aperture to blow out the background, lovely bokeh (in my
opinion at least), is not prone to flare and overall is capable of
beautiful results. I haven't compared it to the 90 apo, but slides with
this lens do not stand out at all from ones taken with the 50 summicron
or my 35 summicron asph.

The one big drawback (literally) is the size which is about 1" longer
than the Apo-90. But if you can live with that, it's a great lens for
the money.

Simon Stevens