Subject: [Leica] Re: 35/1.4 ASPH trumps all & The Limits of Uncertainty
From: Jim Brick <abdul-rahim.mohd-yusoff@lumileds.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:28:37 -0800

- --=====================_699801551==_.ALT

Then At 08:10 AM 11/14/00 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:

>Oh good, I'm glad it's all right for Tina and Ted to use them.
>
>Mike, it's as much a question of 'want' as 'need'. In fact, the pro
>must justify equipment by the 'need' parameter much more
>than the amateur. If I 'want' it and can afford it, I'll get it!
>
>Roger, List-Owner
>The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)

Roger, Roger. I see you-know-who still knows what everyone else is supposed to
do! Fooey! Even though my name is not Ted or Tina, all of my M lenses are
Summiluxes (35/1.4 ASPH. 50/1.4, and 75/1.4) and I use f/1.4 nearly as much as
any other f/stop. This is why I have an M camera and Rapidwinder. So I CAN take
photographs, hand held, rapidly, in low light situations. These situations seem
to be the norm. The difference between f/1.4 and f/2, quite often, is the
ability to go from 1/15th to 1/30th. Very very significant!!!

Jennie and I just spent most of last Saturday with a friend, Fred Jueneman.
Fred is a research scientist (chemist) and is world renown for his thought
processes. He has written two books which are well worth getting, "The Limits
of Uncertainty" and "Raptures of the Deep"

http://knowledge.co.uk/xxx/cat/essays/

and he writes a monthly column in "Research and Development" magazine. The
magazine is an industry journal and is free. Fred was a personal friend of
Immanuel Velikovsky for those of you who remember him.

We meet every month or so for breakfast (and sometimes stay for dinner) and
have a very very long talk about everything from the waitresss' ars to the
finites of space. This past Saturday, I took a roll of T400CN @ 600 and a roll
of Neo 1600 @ 1600 (two different restaurants.) I was at f/1.4 and f1.4 + 1/2 @
from 1/30th to 1/45th the whole time. As usual.

Go to:

http://www.rdmag.com/home.htm

select:  "October 2000:  Vacuum/Thin Films"

then under "departments," select Jueneman (the first entry.)

This will be his current column. At the bottom of the column are pointers to
the past years worth of columns. Read a few. "Fusion and Diffusion," "The
Crystal that Ate Cleveland," "A Place to Hang Your Sky Hook" are really good.
Actually, they are all good. Some are unavailable, but most are.

Jim

- --=====================_699801551==_.ALT

&gt;On 14 Nov 2000, Mike Johnston wrote, at least in part:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&lt;snip&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I also don't know where y'all are shooting that you _need_
lenses<br>
&gt;&gt; of such high speed. Tina, yes; Ted, okay; but even in
low-level<br>
&gt;&gt; indoor lighting and in the city at night I rarely shoot even
an<br>
&gt;&gt; f/2 lens wide open with E.I. 200 film. <br>
&gt;<br>
Then At 08:10 AM 11/14/00 -0700, Roger Beamon wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Oh good, I'm glad it's all right for Tina and Ted to use them. <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Mike, it's as much a question of 'want' as 'need'. In fact, the pro
&gt;must justify equipment by the 'need' parameter much more <br>
&gt;than the amateur. If I 'want' it and can afford it, I'll get
it!<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Roger, List-Owner<br>
&gt;The LEG (Leica Enthusiasts Mailing List)<br>
Roger, Roger. I see you-know-who still knows what everyone else is
supposed to do! Fooey! Even though my name is not Ted or Tina, all of my
M lenses are Summiluxes (35/1.4 ASPH. 50/1.4, and 75/1.4) and I use f/1.4
nearly as much as any other f/stop. This is why I have an M camera and
Rapidwinder. So I CAN take photographs, hand held, rapidly, in low light
situations. These situations seem to be the norm. The difference between
f/1.4 and f/2, quite often, is the ability to go from 1/15th to 1/30th.
Very very significant!!!<br>
Jennie and I just spent most of last Saturday with a friend, Fred
Jueneman. Fred is a research scientist (chemist) and is world renown for
his thought processes. He has written two books which are well worth
getting, &quot;The Limits of Uncertainty&quot; and &quot;Raptures of the
Deep&quot;<br>
and he writes a monthly column in &quot;Research and Development&quot;
magazine. The magazine is an industry journal and is free. Fred was a
personal friend of Immanuel Velikovsky for those of you who remember
him.<br>
We meet every month or so for breakfast (and sometimes stay for dinner)
and have a very very long talk about everything from the waitresss' ars
to the finites of space. This past Saturday, I took a roll of T400CN @
600 and a roll of Neo 1600 @ 1600 (two different restaurants.) I was at
f/1.4 and f1.4 + 1/2 @ from 1/30th to 1/45th the whole time. As
usual.<br>
Go to:<br>
select:&nbsp; &quot;<font face="Verdana">October 2000:&nbsp; Vacuum/Thin
Films&quot;<br>
then under &quot;departments,&quot; select Jueneman (the first
entry.)<br>
This will be his current column. At the bottom of the column are pointers
to the past years worth of columns. Read a few. &quot;Fusion and
Diffusion,&quot; &quot;The Crystal that Ate Cleveland,&quot; &quot;A
Place to Hang Your Sky Hook&quot; are really good. Actually, they are all
good. Some are unavailable, but most are.<br>
Jim<br>