Subject: [Leica] Re: lightjet: matte or gloss for a show?
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:00:38 -0800

For small prints (8x10) gloss is always better. Under glass or not. When
you get to 30x40 and above, matt without glass or with museum glass (non
reflective but not that frosted stuff) works best. Last year I made some
48x60's, some gloss and some matt. The matt won every time because you can
hang it anywhere. Large gloss prints must be hung where there are white or
bright objects opposite it to reflect in the gloss making it impossible to
see the print. For small prints, up to 16x20, gloss looks better than matt.
I did some gloss 20x24's and they require careful hanging. I have a high
gloss 16x20 Ciba under museum glass and it can be hung anywhere.

I suggest you use gloss paper for your show since you are using glass and
8x10's. Gloss does indeed increase the perception of sharpness and
saturation. You can kill it with the wrong glass however.

Jim