Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/3.5 vs 35-70/3.5
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:28:00 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> SML jotted down the following:
>
> > Then how come some people kept insisting that the German version designed in
> > Japan but manufactured in Germany is better in performance than the Japanese
> > version which was designed and manufactured in Japan?
>
> Surely for the same reason that people think that German-made optics are
> better than Canadian-made ones.  Allow me to quote from Mike's Canonical
> Presumptions:
>
>       6. Everything made in Germany is superior to anything made
>          anywhere else.

Hi Martin,

In this case the "made in Germany" is probably correct, not so much for the glass
but basically the lens staying together. As I recall when I got my "German
assembled 35-70" at Leica in Toronto I was informed the difference was the fixing
the " main complaint of the 35-70's made in Japan"  was, they'd loosen up and fall
apart,  true or not I can't say as mine has had solid use about 8 years and is
still in one piece.

ted