Subject: [Leica] Re: Super Graphic Street Work
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@metaversalstudios.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:17:59 -0500

I have been doing a bit of this (but not the cropping thing), hand held with
my Super Graphic (ahh for a Linhof)

I too am experimenting with my new Super Graphic (although I haven't taken
it off the tripod yet) -- and from reading Steve Gandy's site, it seems
clear that this is a much better camera for hand-held photography than a
Linhof.  You certainly don't need rear movements if you're holding the
thing.  And most fully-dressed Linhofs are considerably heavier than a
Super Graphic, no?

Lens geeks (ie. everyone on this list, myself included) should really
experiment with those press Ektars, if they never have.  I have the 101mm
Wide Field, the 127mm (considered one of the sharpest Tessar-like lenses
out there), and the 203mm (also legendary).  I haven't done much with the
203 yet, but I've been using the wider lenses to document large paintings
- -- and they're not even supposed to be optimized for flat field
work.  Superb results:  surprisingly little distortion.  The Super Graphic
is perfect for this type of work, btw, with it's easy zero detents.

I'd use a Leica to make these images, except that I'm scanning them on a
flatbed, and the larger the chrome, the better.

cheers,

DC