Subject: [Leica] New Book Recommendation
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:43:26 -0800

(I've been off the list for a couple of weeks while on walkabout, so I
apologize if this has already been discussed.)

Worth buying and reading is Ken Light's new book on documentary
photographers, "Witness in Our Time: Working Lives of Documentary
Photographers" (Smithsonian Institution Press). This is not a picture book,
but instead a collection of interviews with a number of photographers
(Eugene Richards, Salgado, Wayne Miller, and a host of others) and editors
working in the area, talking about how they got into it and how they are
still able to do it in an era when the usual outlets and support for their
work are disappearing. Fascinating stuff, and the clear message to be drawn
from the interviews is that documentary photography is something you do
because you love it---you won't get rich doing it.

It's available in hardback (ISBN 1560989238, $45) and paperback (ISBN
1560989483, $17.95) from the usual sources. The paperback edition fit
perfectly into my shoulder bag, so I was able to read it in airports, pubs,
etc. while I was on the road.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.