Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux-M 50mm f/1
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 06:54:53 -0800

Terry Sham wrote:

> love the
> angle of view of the standard lens very much. Many people said the optical
> quality of Summicron-M 50mm f/2 is the best. Should I buy the Noctilux-M
> 50mm f/1 only as my standard lens or both Noctilux-M 50mm f/1 and
> Summicron-M 50mm f/2?<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Terry,
Your question will likely create a cross section of answers from users and
technical folks. The Noctilux from a user's perspective is the finest/best M 50
mm lens in the world simply because it's f1.0 and be there in available darkness
gets you great images.

However, from the technical side "which is best " is another question. The
answer to that is best left to our LUG technical people in a more knowledgeable
way.

The "Nights and Nightess of Darkness!" :-)  Noctilux users,  will undoubtedly
say it's the best lens from their point of view and I'd side with them without
question being a longtime user.  But you maybe more interested in a technical
aspect and that answer will come.

Bottom line? Just remember there are two points of view to answering your
question,  the correct answer will be determined by what, where and when you
want to take your pictures in the kind of light you wish to shoot. Actually,
you'll ultimately answer your own question, as it's a personal choice which is
best for you.

Oh yes I forgot one small item.... Do you have the money in your pocket for the
Noctilux? Quite often this is a far more important question than whether "it's
the best Leica 50 mm lens for the M" or not. ;-)
ted