Subject: [Leica] portrait by window light
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:14:09 +0100

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:40:38 -0700
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:  Portrait by window light
Ted,

That is one of the most impressive things I have ever read on the LUG.

John Collier

> From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
>
> Quite often I do nothing more than walk around the room looking at  my
hand to
> see how the light appears when I hold it so it imitates the shape of the
head,
> as in I make a fist, then I determine where the subject should be placed and
> away we go! :-)
<<<<<<<

Me too. Worth a whole workshop. I just walked around my room looking at my
fist and it works. Maybe I'll paint a smile on it for future portrait
sessions!

I was photographing a wedding a month ago - acting as the photographer's
assistant. We were snapping away in a beautiful romanesque baptistry kindof
affair, and the main photographer was using a lot of flash. I noticed that
there were wall-high windows with white gauze curtains over them in a side
room producing the most beautiful diffused light you can imagine and
pointed this out to him (I just do the backup shots in this kind of thing).
Nothing earth-shattering, but I believe they were quite pleased with the
soft look of the light over the flash they were getting before!

Rob.