Subject: [Leica] Re: A previsualisation aid
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:30:26 -0800

>on 11/11/00 10:59 am, John Collier at jbcollier@home.com wrote:
>
>> I read about a helpful aid to visualisation the other day and, unlike most
>> things you read about, it works and is very useful. Take a cut out mount
the
>> size of your film format ‹35mm and medium format use a slide mount, for LF,
>> you would have to make one‹and hold it the the focal length distance away
>> from your eye. Bingo, you see what is going to be in the frame. You can
also
>> get a rough idea of the amount of shifting you may have to do but, of
>> course, it is no help with the tilts :-). With 35mm it gets a little
hard to
>> measure and hold things accurately enough to differentiate between 21mm and
>> 24mm but it works very well for the longer lenses and larger formats.

I've been using this technique for decades. I currently use a pre-made
device called the EFLS or Easy Frame Lens Selector. You knot the cord for
your various lenses so that when you hold it up to view through, pull the
cord straight back to the edge of your eye and whichever knot is there, is
the focal length of the view.

Since the cord is in a long loop, I have one side knotted for my 4x5 LF
lenses and the other knotted for my Hasselblad. I use two flat rubber
bands, which I move in place when needed, to mask the rectangular opening
to a square.

Se it at:

http://www.summitek.com/easel.html

Jim