Subject: Re: [Leica] Tech Pan
From: Richard Comen <rpcomen@mcn.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:41:26 -0800

Mike, Regarding your assertion below that " >The stuff just plain and
simple appeals to hopeless dweebs searching for some crutch to make up for
the fact that they wouldn't >know a halfway decent picture if it was a
snake and bit them on the ass and >HUNG THERE." I guess I am one of those
hopeless dweebs.
    I tried H&W control ( out of Vermont ) in the early 70s and loved it
except for the miserably slow speed rating. Ironically, in the Sept/Oct
issue of Darkroom and Creative Camera techniques appeared an article on
bleaching of negs prior to developing by David Kachel. The concept caught
my fancy and I thought why not for Tech Pan shot at ASA 100 and developed
in HC 110 dilution B. This could lower the contrast and still give me a
usable film speed for my first love, street photography. Why Tech Pan?
Because one can utilize just a portion of ones negative if need be ( yes I
am one who crops in the camera finder but also often finds that an image
improves with cropping in the darkroom ). Also I like the resolution the
film gives. Why use our fine Leicas and lenses and expect the most from
them and not expect the same from our film which carries the image to the
darkroom? I spent a month in Paris shortly after reading the above article
and shot TP at ASA 100. I returned and tried Kachels bleaching technique
and obtained some fine 11X14 prints for my walls ( I think the ultimate
satisfaction of our photography endeavors as an amateur is what pleases us
on our wall).
However, the technique was not consistent and so I spent the next several
years working on a brew that I would find consistent for shooting TP at ASA
100 and capable of recording a wide range of tonality especially with the
modern split filtration methods. I found it and it is entirely to my
satisfaction. I now use TP for Pictorial, Portraiture, Stage and symphonic
photography under stage lighting, and above all my favorite street
photography. It is my favorite all purpose film and I have been trying them
all since the early 1930s. If this places me among the "Dweebs", thats me!

If you are flexible enough to see more examples of your hated Tech Pan go to:

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293382025

They might be crap to you but they look great on my wall!
Richard

Replies: Reply from Jean Marc Becker <jean-marc.becker@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] Tech Pan)
Reply from Richard Comen <rpcomen@mcn.org> (Re: [Leica] Tech Pan)