Subject: [Leica] Tech Pan
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:59:30 -0600

I limit my use of Tech Pan to resolution testing of lenses and photography of
archaeological artifacts.  I too succumbed to the allure of super fine grain and
high resolution, and tried to shoot scenics and portraits with the stuff, but I
could never achieve a good tonal rendition.  For artifacts, such as pottery
vessels, stone axe heads, and chipped stone projectile points, etc., that
exhibit a very short contrast range, the film is wonderful.

To achieve extremely fine grain, excellent resolution, and great tonality in
large prints of scenics one should use larger format cameras.   Why fight it?
I'm going large format for  those subjects, and for the ability to use the
swings and tilts and rises for depth of field control.  But I will use my Leica
R system for 90% of my work.

Ferrel Anderson