Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica AF SLR
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:12:48 -0800

"Sal DiMarco,Jr." wrote:

> Luggers,
>     In a recent post, Mark Rabiner asked "If Leica came out with a separate
> high tech AF SLR system how many existing R8-users would desert their
> systems like rats on a sinking ship?" Mark continues "My guess 65 percent +
> would hold on and keep using their existing systems. Love that groundglass
> and what I do with it!"
>     Well, my answer is no one will desert. One of the many problems Leica AG
> has with auto-focus is maintaining compatibility with older lenses. They do
> not, repeat, not want to alienate current customers, the way Contax just
> did.
> Happy Snapping,
> Sal

I did however not mean by "desert" to leave Leica but to move up to the AF system.
It has been noticed that there is no glut of Contax manual stuff out there in
anticipation of the AF N1 thing coming in. The majority of the Contax people
would seem to be barely interested. Just as the Leica people would be barely
interested; cross out 65 and put in 95 %. Sorry! a glitch!
But the Canon people sold their F1's and all bought those wonderful EOSes didn't they?
I just shot a roll of mushrooms in my front yard yesterday with my Nikon 8008
with my 105 micro Nikkor AI non AF lens on it.
Nikon did not make that mistake. I have AI lenses on my AF body just as often as
I'd have an AF lens on it.
When i use that system.
Which is never.
Mark rabiner