Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 08:44:43 -0800

On Thu, 09 November 2000, Walter S Delesandri wrote:

> I'm so glad you brought this up, Martin.....I love these threads by
> "knowledgeable" folk about "it's just a capacitor".....bullshit...
> there hasn't been an electronic camera that WASN't surface mount, on
> flex boards, with proprietary components, since the Pentax ES...and
> even it had 1/8 w resistors and non-standard active devices...not exactly
> "radio shack" fare.....
> Rest assured, when your R3-8 and/or your Nikon FE/EL etc. is 30 years old,
> you will NOT get it repaired...oh yeah, you MIGHT salvage parts from another,
> but shops probably won't do this, or will do it at >1X the value of the
> camera in question.

> If you want the features of the Hexar/R8/M7(!), buy the damn thing...use it up!!!
> (that's what you probably should do anyway), beat the crap out of it making
> pictures, and throw it away with you DVD and "AV" receiver in 15 years.....
> but don't think you'll get a "sherry" or "dag" to fix it in 25 years,
> as they do today with M3s...ain't gonna happen.....
>
> Your faithful public critic,
> Walt

Walt,

You won't get Sherry to fix R3-R8 cameras even today.  She doesn't do R-bodies.  Leicaflexes, yes.  R, no.

I agree, if you can get full value out of an electronic-dependant camera within a few years, by all means, buy it and use it up!  I'm an amateur and I can't justify replacing my equipment every few years so a camera that can be repaired 30 or 40 years from now makes more sense for me.  BTW Sherry has CLA'd both of my SLs in the last couple of years, so they should be good for another couple decades of work.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento