Subject: Re: [Leica] 40mm
From: "M.E.Berube" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 11:15:19 -0500

At 08:26 PM 11/8/00 -0800, Guy wrote:
>on the subject of 40s, what's the scuttlebut 'bout the summicron 40? how
>does it perform? anybody out there use one with an m?

I use mine on my M5 almost all the time (and the CL that it came on when I
am not using the 25 skopar on that of course.)

As I mentioned previously if I can get it to bring up the 35 frame instead
of the 50 frame that it does, it will be that much better, but I can live
with it the way it is and really am very happy with the results that I get
with it as is. I'm told that mine even has the slight beginnings of
separation on the back element, but doesn't seem to be having any effect at
all other than on the resale value.

Sherry K. has said that it is rare for a Summicron-C 40/2 to be able to
focus on infinity when used on regular M bodies. Evidently I got lucky
because mine works very well on the M5. I have focused on a 3 mile object
and the focus snaps in without any problem whatsoever and closer images are
likewise tack sharp in focus.

While I might not seek to venture out just to buy the lens in preference to
a Summicron 35 or 50, it came on my CL and is working fine.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube