Subject: [Leica] TMAX 100 curves
From: "Apostolos Mamatas" <a_mamatas@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:58:00 EST

With regards to TMAX 100 curves in particular, the film is known for its
rather longish "straight line" portion in many developers. The net effect is
that TMAX is capable of recording a large number of tones above what may be
printable without some clever manipulation in the darkroom. In other words,
it's got a long scale. A friend of mine uses TMAX 100 developed in HC-110 to
produce 8X10 negatives suitable for platinum/paladium printing. The thing
about TMAX is the detail is all there, but it can be challenging to print
sometimes on silver gelatin paper. (I say say this fully aware that you can
do the old N- development of Zone Sytem fame, but it tends to produce
extremely dull and compressed midtones--yuck!) I'm not very familiar with
TMAX 400, but I suppose one can reasonably extrapolate its behavior.