Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and LF
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 23:12:16 EST

In a message dated 11/08/2000 1:13:38 AM, michaeljohnston@ameritech.net
writes:

<< Well, has anybody ever considered that maybe LF photography might be a
great
_exercise_ to help make one a better _Leica_ photographer? >>

Mike,

That's just what has happened with me.  I have been shooting 4x5 pretty
seriously for about a year or so concurrently with 35mm (Leica).  I enjoy the
slowness of the view camera and the almost meditative qualities of setting it
up and finding the image while using a small amount of film instead of
jumping around shooting many 35mm frames.  I have never been happy doing
landscapes or architecture with 35mm.  I think they require a larger negative
and a camera with at least some perspective control.  I now do different
kinds of photos with the kind of equipment that does them best.  I'm
currently attempting to learn how to do environmental portraits with 4x5.
It's a challenge, but when they work they're great.

As a result of using LF, I my Leica photography has improved quite dram
atically.  My sense of composition, and general acuity of seeing have grown.
I've learned a lot about exposing and developing film.  I have become a
better and more sophisticated B&W printer.  All in all, it has been a
wonderful experience that has taught me more than I imagined it would.

Richard Wasserman