Subject: [Leica] Sydney & Summilux spots (long)
From: "Terence and Patricia" <terpat@magix.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:10:29 +0800

Friends,

first, many thanks to those who helped with suggestions for our visit to
Sydney. My wife Pat and I were in Sydney from 15 to 20 October. We were
struck by how warm and friendly Australians are, even in a big city like
Sydney.

My own schedule was a little tight as I had to juggle between a conference
and holidaying, but we really did enjoy ourselves. To keep things on topic,
I will describe how things went with my Leicas :-)

I carried 2 bodies, M6 and M3, along with a 35 Summilux (pre-ASPH), 50
Summicron DR, 90 Summicron and a Russar 20/5.6 (sob...can't afford a 21
Elmarit ASPH). Walking around with the camera round my neck seemed pretty
safe and I didn't feel that someone was likely to snatch the camera. (That
said, my colleague had her bag and wallet stolen in a restaurant). I only
managed to take 2 rolls of Ektachrome 100, 2 rolls of Kodachrome 64 and only
1 roll of Delta 100. The Ektachrome turned out quite nicely while the
Kodachrome is still being processed (mailed to the Kodachrome lab in NSW!).
The Delta 100 has been processed and awaits printing.

I found that I used the 35 and 50 most of the time, the 90 on 2 occasions
while visiting the Blue Mountains and the Russar once when we were having
lunch at the Summit revolving restaurant. One problem I had was that after
spending a really windy afternoon walking about in town, I returned to the
hotel room and was curious to find that there were black spots between the
elements of the 35 Summilux. I hadn't done anything to the lens and it had
been on the M6 body all afternoon. It was, however, subjected to really
gusty winds. The spots looked like paint flecks and there was one particular
fleck that was sitting on the edge of one of the aperture blades. Needless
to say, I have sent it for CLA, in case the spots damage the optical
coating. The other lenses were okay.

We enjoyed a cruise on the Bounty which was a ship built like the original
Bounty on which the famous mutiny occurred. We managed to see the Blue
Mountains and some kangaroos up close at the National Park which was a first
for us! Unfortunately we did not get to see events of the Paralympics which
opened while we were there. There were lots of tourists and visitors in
Sydney and many were toting SLRs and compacts. The only other person I
clearly saw using an M was rather hurried gentleman with an
M4+meter+collapsible 90 Elmar. Didn't get to ask him anything before he
rushed down the street, though, I suppose trying to catch the decisive
moment. Our holiday was rather more laid back I'm glad to report.

One thing we Singaporeans enjoy is good eating, and we found plenty of that
in Sydney too. Our most memorable meal was when we were invited to lunch at
a restaurant called Tetsuya's, where the celebrity chef prepares a really
imaginative and excellent menu of Japanese-Australian fusion cuisine. We had
to rely on a taxi to get us to the restaurant. When we got there, we thought
we got the address wrong as the shop was all shuttered up and there was no
sign of business activity at all! We knocked on the side door and we were
admitted into the place after we made our reservations known. Apparently
reservations need to be made a month in advance!

During one of the lectures, I ventured to take a photograph of the lecturer
using the 35 Summilux wide open and hand-held at 1/8 bracing myself against
a seat-back. Flare-city!! Now I'm hankering for one of the ASPH jobs....

Nevertheless, the 35 Summilux which I use is a second version lens which
already somewhat better that the chrome first version wide-open. When closed
to f2 it is very usable and gives excellent results at f2.8. It's really
compact even compared to the 35/2 and definitely slimmer that the 35/2 ASPH.
I feel a little nervous using it without a filter when conditions are bad,
but otherwise, it goes everywhere with me, even to Australia.

Terence Tan
Singapore

Replies: Reply from "ross mcleish" <loksi@dingoblue.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Sydney, Summilux spots, and Tetsuya...)