Subject: Re: [Leica] 50/3.5 elmar question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 23:29:03 +1100

Damian Dlugolecki wrote:

> I purchased a Leica iii with a 50/3.5 elmar lens (#213235) recently from
> an older gentleman who lives nearby.  He acquired the camera in Germany
> while visiting relatives who lived on the outskirts of Hamburg.  As he
> tells it he brought them 20 lbs of coffee and 20 lbs of sugar, and in
> return they gave him this camera.  He told me that in 1966 or 1968 he
> brought the camera to Wetzlar and asked them to adjust it.  When he got
> it back he was shocked at the bill for $45.
> The front element on this lens has a modern coating and is absolutely
> flawless.  Remember, this lens was made in 1935 or thereabouts.  I am
> wondering if Leitz may have replaced the front element when he brought
> them the camera and lens for CLA.  Does anyone know if this would have
> been normal practice for Leitz during this period?
>
> Thanks
>
> Damian

Damian, Leitz in at this time and earlier did re coat an uncoated lens if it
came to them for repair. They also replaced all the slightly rusty or marked
screws on a camera body which was send to them for service.  I once, in
1976, when I worked for a few years back  in Germany, took the opportunity
and send them a model 3C in good condition for an overhaul.
It came back, looking like a brand new camera. However it cost me DM 350.-
then. but it was worth it.  This was the days of the super service by Leitz.

Regards, Horst Schmidt