Subject: Re: [Leica] Real Leica books
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:29:35 -0800

>>> I am getting my first Leica camera (M6 TTL). I would like to get a
>>>couple of
>>> Leica books that could help me to increase my skill (and enjoyment) with my
>>> new camera.
>>> Could someone please offer some suggestions of Leica books?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jack
>

>I can offer some suggestions on excellent Leica books that I own and enjoy,
>that have definitely enhanced my enjoyment of Leica...
>[snip]
>--Mike

let me add the following books by leica photographers that i have enjoyed:

raymond depardon. 'voyages.' paris: hazan, 1998.
- ---. 'correspondance new yorkaise.' paris: libération/cahiers du cinéma, 1981.
- ---. 'le désert américain.' paris: libération/cahiers du cinéma, 1983.
gianni berengo gardin. 'italiani.' milan: federico motta editore, 1999.
ralph gibson. 'deux ex machina.' köln: taschen, 1999.

these photographers tend to get overshadowed by their more legendary,
photojournalist colleagues, which is unfortunate in my opinion. they have
made significant contributions 'leica culture,' and it's a pity their names
don't come up more frequently here on the lug.

guy

p.s. i would also recommend a good monograph on édouard boubat, who died
last year. if you have a hard time finding something, try the boubat title
in the 'photo poche' series. it contains many of his most well loved images
in decent prints.